[NatureNS] Petition - Bedford basin Infill / Bedford Reef

Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 00:00:15 -0300
From: I/N <foxhollow@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------040000060208090609090608

Hi Lynne and Heather, thanks for your comments.

We are a very small group of regular (non-activism type) people just
trying to explain to developers and politicians what every schoolchild
knows intuitively: It's wrong.
We were at the Cruise-ship terminal Market today. We had a simple
display table set up and received overwhelming support and positive
feedback.
Here is a link to the online version of the petition:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bedfordbasinreef/

We finally have a basic website up: http://savebedfordreef.yolasite.com/
It includes a comprehensive timeline. We hope to have a new video out
soon which has a slide show and covers both the long-term and recent
history of this area (Crosby Island [sic], Downey Bluff, Moirs Pond,
Mill Cove, and the Western Ledges) from the late 1700's to present.

We have been advocating to stop infilling Bedford Basin and to preserve
the Bedford Reef and associated tidal pools (a.k.a. the "Western Ledges"
on marine maps). We are calling for the creation of a Coastal Marine
Park. In what final form ? We know not.

Much work has gone into researching the history/timeline of this
project, especially the deeded pre-confederation water lots, the new
(1991!) water lot, and which government departments played which roles
in permitting this series of events. We have also looked at ancilliary
events (pyritic slate issues, the Moirs Pond issue, etc)

We are always interested in any ideas, information, or other
expertise/support.

I don't read a lot about activism on this forum, and I know as
individuals we all contribute in our own ways - and to varying degrees.
I hope posting this type of info here is not a problem for anyone.
Sincerely,
Ian Marshall

On 5/5/2012 7:49 AM, Lynne Perry wrote:
> Could just the petition be circulated and a way to easily sign and
> submit? The video clip was very informative.  To those of us who love
> nature I think that would be helpful.  Not all of us understand
> computers very well.

> From: heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca
> To: foxhollow@ns.sympatico.ca; naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 08:09:25 -0300
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Petition - Bedford basin Infill / Bedford Reef
>
> You didn't mention which Farmers Market. Here in Halifax there are
> two- the Historic Farmers Market and the Seaport Farmers Market. In
> Dartmouth there is the Farmers Market at the Ferry Landing.
> Heather
> /Heather Drope/
> /Nova Scotia Wild Flora Society/
> /www.nswildflora.ca/
> /902-440-5032/
> /
> /
> /We do not see nature with our eyes, /
> /but with our understandings and our hearts. /
> / W. Hazlett/
>
> No virus found in this message.

--------------040000060208090609090608

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Hi Lynne and Heather, thanks for your comments.<br>
    We are a very small group of regular (non-activism type) people just
    trying to explain to developers and politicians what every
    schoolchild knows intuitively: It's wrong.<br>
    We were at the Cruise-ship terminal Market today. We had a simple
    display table set up and received overwhelming support and positive
    feedback. <br>
    Here is a link to the online version of the petition:
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bedfordbasinreef/<br>
    We finally have a basic website up:
    http://savebedfordreef.yolasite.com/<br>
    It includes a comprehensive timeline. We hope to have a new video
    out soon which has a slide show and covers both the long-term and
    recent history of this area (Crosby Island [sic], Downey Bluff,
    Moirs Pond, Mill Cove, and the Western Ledges) from the late 1700's
    to present.<br>
    We have been advocating to stop infilling Bedford Basin and to
    preserve the Bedford Reef and associated tidal pools (a.k.a. the
    "Western Ledges" on marine maps). We are calling for the creation of
    a Coastal Marine Park. In what final form ? We know not.<br>
    Much work has gone into researching the history/timeline of this
    project, especially the deeded pre-confederation water lots, the new
    (1991!) water lot, and which government departments played which
    roles in permitting this series of events. We have also looked at
    ancilliary events (pyritic slate issues, the Moirs Pond issue, etc)<br>
    We are always interested in any ideas, information, or other
    expertise/support. <br>
    I don't read a lot about activism on this forum, and I know as
    individuals we all contribute in our own ways - and to varying
    degrees. I hope posting this type of info here is not a problem for
    anyone.<br>
    Sincerely,<br>
    Ian Marshall<br>