[NatureNS] Petition - Bedford basin Infill / Bedford Reef

Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 20:20:52 -0300
From: james simpson <desolatechair@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

gn and submit? The video clip was very infor
--e89a8fb2062877323e04bf7a8556

While I am all for advocacy, I am concerned this type of polemic is a
slippery slope that will limit the ability of NatureNS to be perceived as
impartial and thus an authoritative voice of dedicated and concerned NS
naturalists.

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Lynne Perry <perry.lynne@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> table set up and received overwhelming support and positive feedback.
> Here is a link to the online version of the petition:
> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bedfordbasinreef/
>
> We finally have a basic website up: http://savebedfordreef.yolasite.com/
> It includes a comprehensive timeline. We hope to have a new video out soon
> which has a slide show and covers both the long-term and recent history of
> this area (Crosby Island [sic], Downey Bluff, Moirs Pond, Mill Cove, and
> the Western Ledges) from the late 1700's to present.
>
> We have been advocating to stop infilling Bedford Basin and to preserve
> the Bedford Reef and associated tidal pools (a.k.a. the "Western Ledges" on
> marine maps). We are calling for the creation of a Coastal Marine Park. In
> what final form ? We know not.
>
> Much work has gone into researching the history/timeline of this project,
> especially the deeded pre-confederation water lots, the new (1991!) water
> lot, and which government departments played which roles in permitting this
> series of events. We have also looked at ancilliary events (pyritic slate
> issues, the Moirs Pond issue, etc)
>
> We are always interested in any ideas, information, or other
> expertise/support.
>
> I don't read a lot about activism on this forum, and I know as individuals
> we all contribute in our own ways - and to varying degrees. I hope posting
> this type of info here is not a problem for anyone.
> Sincerely,
> Ian Marshall
>

> On 5/5/2012 7:49 AM, Lynne Perry wrote:
>
> Could just the petition be circulated and a way to easily sign and submit?
> The video clip was very informative.  To those of us who love nature I
> think that would be helpful.  Not all of us understand computers very well.
>
>  ------------------------------
> From: heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca
> To: foxhollow@ns.sympatico.ca; naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 08:09:25 -0300
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Petition - Bedford basin Infill / Bedford Reef
>
> You didn't mention which Farmers Market. Here in Halifax there are two-
> the Historic Farmers Market and the Seaport Farmers Market. In Dartmouth
> there is the Farmers Market at the Ferry Landing.
> Heather
> *Heather Drope*
> *Nova Scotia Wild Flora Society*
> *www.nswildflora.ca*
> *902-440-5032*
> *
> *
> *We do not see nature with our eyes, *
> *but with our understandings and our hearts. *
> * W. Hazlett*
>
> No virus found in this message.

--e89a8fb2062877323e04bf7a8556

While I am all for advocacy, I am concerned this type of polemic is a slipp=
ery slope that will limit the ability of NatureNS to be perceived as impart=
ial and thus an authoritative voice of dedicated and concerned NS naturalis=
ts.=A0<br>
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex">

I just signed this petition.=A0Please see how many others can/may help. Hav=
e a wonderful Sunday. Do something good today. Lynne<br>=A0<br>
<hr>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 00:00:15 -0300<br>From: <a href=3D"mailto:foxhollow@n=
s.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">foxhollow@ns.sympatico.ca</a><br>To: <a h=
ref=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@chebucto.=
ns.ca</a><div>
ll / Bedford Reef<br><br>Hi Lynne and Heather, thanks for your comments.<br=
rying to explain to developers and politicians what every schoolchild knows=
 intuitively: It&#39;s wrong.<br>
We were at the Cruise-ship terminal Market today. We had a simple display t=
able set up and received overwhelming support and positive feedback. <br>He=
re is a link to the online version of the petition: <a href=3D"http://www.i=
petitions.com/petition/bedfordbasinreef/" target=3D"_blank">http://www.ipet=
itions.com/petition/bedfordbasinreef/</a><br>
olasite.com/" target=3D"_blank">http://savebedfordreef.yolasite.com/</a><br=
>It includes a comprehensive timeline. We hope to have a new video out soon=
 which has a slide show and covers both the long-term and recent history of=
 this area (Crosby Island [sic], Downey Bluff, Moirs Pond, Mill Cove, and t=
he Western Ledges) from the late 1700&#39;s to present.<br>
 the Bedford Reef and associated tidal pools (a.k.a. the &quot;Western Ledg=
es&quot; on marine maps). We are calling for the creation of a Coastal Mari=
ne Park. In what final form ? We know not.<br>