[NatureNS] Re: are Wood Ticks jumping??

Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:53:10 -0300
From: "Jeffrey Ogden" <ogdenjb@gov.ns.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>

Hi Jim et al.
Ticks in Nova Scotia are incapable of jumping, they are built for clinging, grabbing and of course sucking blood but do not have legs designed for jumping or even runnin' real fast. They do not generally travel horizontally very far from their original emergence site but rather spend the bulk of their life going up and down the foliage hanging out at the tips of plants with their legs waving "questing" for a host. When a host (which also varies depending on life stange) walks by, its front legs have claws that attach themselves to hairs or in our case clothing or even drag blankets if that is your cup of tea. Since they do quest at the tips of foliage I guess it wouldn't be out of the question that they may be blown a short distance if the wind if strong enough but "flying" would not be a normal mode of dispersal either....:O)

Jeffrey Ogden
Integrated Pest Management
Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources
P.O.Box 130 Shubenacadie, N.S.
B0N 2H0
ph-1 902 758 7015
fx- 1 902 758 3210
email ogdenjb@gov.ns.ca
>>> "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca> 04/05/12 4:17 PM >>>
I strongly doubt that any ticks can actually jump, but perhaps on a
windy day with herbs and brush blowing around and contacting various
surfaces, like human clothes or skin, might give the impression of
having jumped.  I'm no expert, of course, and I'm remembering that
jumping spiders don't look capable of jumping, but ......Cheers from
Jim in Wolfville.

Begin forwarded message: