Bee trees: was Re: [NatureNS] Garden bees

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 13:36:23 -0300

Hi Rick & All,                        May 14, 2012

    I have seen two such trees, both about 1960 and have wondered if there
was something special about this period that favoured wild hives. Were yours
seen some time ago or recently ?

    On May 28, 1961, I collected beetles from a large (~2' stump) Hemlock
that had been felled and left about 1 year previously (by estimate). This
was near the junction of Prospect Road and Moore's Brook. The remains of bee
comb on the sides of a hole that had been chopped about 50' up suggested
that the tree had been cut just to get the honey. By guess, the tree was
likely cut late fall or early winter of 1959.

    The second tree was a standing live White Spruce (~8" DBH) on the South
facing bank of the Boar's Back in Cambridge. The hole was about 7' up on the
SE side. Drawing on memory, this would have been late fall (my brother Irwin
had found it when bees were active) 1957 or 1958 (I think). Using hand saw
and chisel, we cut a small door above the entrance, took a token amount of
comb with honey, and closed it back up.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville