[NatureNS] Re: Bon Portage Island weekend- NOMO and SASP (Ipswich)

Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:56:28 -0300
From: <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: NSRBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I was able to spend a quiet weekend on Bon Portage Island - no sheep, no dogs and no ATVs. Only unusual bird was a Northern Mockingbird near the Light house. There were many Song Sparrows , a number of Savannahs and one Ipswich in the field. Two deer and two muskrats were feeding in the pasture.
 Such changes on the island over the years. Herring Gulls have taken over the old Burnt Forest as a colony since the trees have fallen and the Canadian Yew has died off (or been grazed off)(?). The HEGU are also on the central Savannah, leaving most of the coastline to the Greater Black-Backs, whose numbers seem ever increasing. Near the Field Station Camp were many Redstarts, and Yellow Warblers. I watched a Black-throated Blue female working very hard on a nest just outside the kitchen window facing south. No sign or song of a male. Is this usual behavior or did the male meet with an accident? I observed the female from early Sat am many times until Monday 10am when she seemed to be egg sitting.
(I heard that someone was bringing dogs on the island so she may not survive.)
A Catbird was nesting behind the camp, and there were several pair of Swainson's Thrushes. There were Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green and Magnolia Warblers back by Sunday. On Saturday's walk-about there were Common Terns at the North end, a Raven, many Am. Crows, C. Eiders (some on eggs), Canada Geese , a pair of Black ducks, Green winged Teal, and D-C Cormorants. Starlings are more common now a days, as are Robins. The Great Horned Owl seems to have relocated to the south of the island but still hunting around the Gunning camp. I found a calling card pellet on my cooler yesterday am! The camp N.Flicker is back and there are lots of Petrels starting to come in about 11 pm
The first Winter Wren sang on Sunday pm west of the camps, but no Fox Sparrows.
Only one Boreal Chickadee and one Golden crowned Kinglet spotted.
Cheers to all, Joan
---- Eric Mills <E.Mills@Dal.Ca> wrote:
> So far, the weekend has provided some excellent birding on Brier Island for the 12+ birders that have been here. Highlights include a singing Field Sparrow, 16+ species of warblers (some very abundant and most singing, including Canada), continuing Indigo Buntings, R-br Grosbeaks and Cardinals (all three in song), a migrant Red-bellied Woodpecker, first-of-season Swainson's Thrushes and Olive-sided Flycatchers (latter by Don McNeil and Giselle D'Entremont), Richard Stern's Whip-poor-will, all three Scoters, Razorbills, flypasts of Gannets, Woodcock, a Warbling Vireo (Richard Stern), a stunning dawn chorus of Winter Wrens, and much else. Great birding under memorably lovely weather.
> Eric L. Mills
> 286 Kingsburg Road
> RR#1, Rose Bay, NS B0J 2X0, Canada

<*> Your email settings: