[NatureNS] Owl survey, Cape Breton

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 21:49:40 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01CD392D.F46C9240

With a night of light winds forecast, I did my owl survey on the Salmon =
River Road, CBRM on Sunday night, with friend Bill Bussey and his =
granddaughter Avery.

The night was perfectly still and listening conditions at most stops =
were excellent.  With no moon in the sky the owls were not doing much =
calling, but we had 4 Saw-whet Owls and 6 Barreds, enough to keep us =
happy as the night went on.

One of the best aspects of the night was having 11-year-old Avery along. =
 She is very keen on owls and did an excellent job of following all the =
rules of owling etiquette - keeping feet quiet on the gravel road, etc. =
etc.  Best of all, she could pick out the owl calls, which many people =
can't when they first begin owling.  I demonstrated the various owl =
calls for her in the car on the drive there, and explained that the =
Saw-whet call was similar to the calls of peepers but with a more =
regular rhythm that we had to listen for, through the peeper chorus.  =
With this minimal direction, she was able to pick out the Saw-whet calls =
and asked about Barred calls she heard before I had pointed them out.  =
We didn't have an owl fly in, which would have made the night perfect, =
but even so she told us that it was the best night of her life.  With =
any luck, an owler is born!=20

Cheers,
Susann Myers

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01CD392D.F46C9240

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>With a night of light winds forecast, I =
did my owl=20
survey on the Salmon River Road, CBRM&nbsp;on Sunday night, with friend =
Bill=20
Bussey and his granddaughter Avery.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The night was perfectly still and =
listening=20
conditions at most stops were excellent.&nbsp; With no moon in the sky =
the owls=20
were not doing much calling, but we had 4 Saw-whet Owls and 6 Barreds, =
enough to=20
keep us happy as the night went on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>One of the best aspects of the night =
was having=20
11-year-old Avery along.&nbsp; She is very keen on owls and did an =
excellent job=20
of following all the rules of owling etiquette - keeping feet quiet on =
the=20
gravel road, etc. etc.&nbsp; Best of all, she could&nbsp;pick =
out&nbsp;the owl=20
calls, which many people can't when they first begin owling.&nbsp;=20
I&nbsp;demonstrated the various owl calls&nbsp;for her in the car on the =
drive=20
there, and&nbsp;explained that the Saw-whet call&nbsp;was similar to=20
the&nbsp;calls of peepers but with a more regular rhythm that we had to =
listen=20
for, through the peeper chorus.&nbsp; With this minimal direction, she =
was able=20
to&nbsp;pick out&nbsp;the Saw-whet calls and asked about Barred calls =
she heard=20
before I had pointed them out.&nbsp; We didn't have an owl fly in, which =
would=20
have made the night perfect, but even so she&nbsp;told us&nbsp;that it =
was the=20
best night of her life.&nbsp; With any luck, an owler is=20
born!&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Susann Myers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01CD392D.F46C9240--