[NatureNS] Japanese knotweed

Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 15:15:27 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  any of you had e
On 5/23/2012 7:16 PM, Dave&Jane Schlosberg wrote:
>  Now, if we could just find a use for goutweed.

* perfectly edible as a potherb, if picked early in the season, and if
you're prepared to enjoy its non-standard flavour - Many wild plants do
have a flavour that you do need to learn to enjoy. We have a list of the
plants we use in 'How to live in Eastern Ontario' -
http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm#HOW2

* we've also made a single unsatisfactory trial of this species, but
there are recipes on the internet that claim to make Knotweed very
tasty. We've been meaning to try them, but things have been too hectic
this spring.

fred.

--

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad