[NatureNS] Hummingbirds in White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 12:56:26 -0300

This past couple days has been busy at the hummingbird feeders. I filled
them all with fresh syrup yesterday and they are nearly 1/2 empty. Unusual
for this early in the season. I have been so busy so didn't see what was
happening. Earlier this week, one of the neighbourhood cats caught a very
spunky male hummingbird. It was going after a female and I think the male
roared in to defend, maybe not, I don't know. At any rate the male was
grabed and before I could get to the cat it was away.  It has been quiet
since. He was quite protective of his territory and very vocal. Yesterday as
I was heading out I noticed a female seems to have taken over his role. I
paused long enough to watch for a couple minutes and she was really busy.
Last evening just at dark, I looked out and the yard was swarming with
females.  They were lining up at all the ports waiting their turns. They fed
well into the evening, long after dark. Once in awhile a male would come in
and he was allowed to feed briefly then was chased away. I  haven't ever
seen anything like it. This morning first thing there were a number of males
waiting to feed. Now we seem back to normal. Several females and several
males. One dominant female.
The cats are taking quite a toll on the birds. Mostly the Mourning doves. We
have a number of new robins out and about as well as a couple starlings. I
haven't seen or heard a Blue Jay in awhile.
best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens