[NatureNS] Hummingbird battles

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 21:01:45 -0300

So much for the sharing of feeders today. It was quiet awhile but right now
it is a battlefield out there with the hummingbirds, even the females in the
rabble raising! I have seen this before but not to this scale. I have one
dead male, I think he may have been driven into the ground head first.
Really a beautiful little fellow. A few minutes ago there were a dozen males
or more swarming about and spearing with their beaks. I will pop this little
fellow into  the freezer  along with the oven bird, nuthatch, something else
and oh a mourning dove that have collected there for the past couple years.
I'll try to get them all to  Randy or maybe the museum in Hfx.
Seems a bad weekend for the hummingbirds as I saw a number dead on the
highway to and from Lunenburg. So many were zipping across the road at low
levels.

Lots of butterflies as well. I saw dozens of the yellow swallowtails of all
different sizes. They all seemed to go from the ocean inland direction.
 the big thrill was a Luna Moth at my sister's around the corner. Tonight I
went to her house and there is a second one. Beautiful!!
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens