[NatureNS] Seriously diseased Beeches

Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:03:53 -0300
From: Doug Linzey <naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 28/05/2012 5:04 PM, Paul MacDonald wrote:
> I have not seen any in our area yet.

Like Paul, I haven't seen any problems with our beeches. Apart from the
usual cankers on every one of our 1000s of beech trees (North Mountain),
the foliage is very lush and green.

Speaking of beeches, Matt Miller addressed the Nature Nova Scotia
conference in Tatamagouche this past weekend and said that a number of
the beeches in the Otter Ponds demonstration forest in eastern HRM are
clear.

> Another disease if you could call it that seems to have gotten
> into Larch. In Lunenbuurg county at least.
> The needles came out nice and green but now have turned reddish brown
> Not healthy looking. Any idea what is at work here?

I don't have an answer, but we noticed that larch is similarly affected
along the highway between Truro and Tatamagouche.

Doug Linzey
Arlington, NS