[NatureNS] Probable Willow flycatcher, N. of Kentville

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 21:32:24 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>

--f46d0447875723cee404c121f987

Hi,

About 30 mins ago we were strolling by our pond, and I became aware of an
Empid. flycatcher foraging at about 15-20 feet in the willows and poplars
around the edge of the pond. It was giving a single, short but slightly
rising "Whit" note. It immediately responded to my playback of the Willow
flycatcher call in the Sibley app on my phone by flying close in and
behaving agitated, but not to the songs of Alder or Least flycatchers (both
of which occur on or near our property but not in that habitat). Other than
being an empid., I couldn't really see any field marks that might
distinguish it from other empids. I'll keep a lookout and perhaps tomorrow
morning, if it's still there, try and get some pictures.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--f46d0447875723cee404c121f987

Hi,<br><br>About 30 mins ago we were strolling by our pond, and I became aw=
are of an Empid. flycatcher foraging at about 15-20 feet in the willows and=
 poplars around the edge of the pond. It was giving a single, short but sli=
ghtly rising &quot;Whit&quot; note. It immediately responded to my playback=
 of the Willow flycatcher call in the Sibley app on my phone by flying clos=
e in and behaving agitated, but not to the songs of Alder or Least flycatch=
ers (both of which occur on or near our property but not in that habitat). =
Other than being an empid., I couldn&#39;t really see any field marks that =
might distinguish it from other empids. I&#39;ll keep a lookout and perhaps=
 tomorrow morning, if it&#39;s still there, try and get some pictures.<br>

--f46d0447875723cee404c121f987--