[NatureNS] Seriously diseased Beeches

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 21:57:58 -0300

Hi Peter & All,                    May 28, 2012
    Feeding damage on foliage may look worse than it is because there is
substantial redundancy built into plant structures. Provided you can cut
them, cut samples or extract increment cores, It would be of interest to
mark otherwise similar trees that have severe or slight feeding intensity
and see if ring width is noticeably affected.

    Young Beech with smooth bark are routine in North Alton, perhaps because
they are scattered; time will tell. I have not been there for 2-3 decades
but there used to be a patch of fairly large canker-free Beech (8-10" DBH)
north of the Cornwallis Meadow, just east of Kentville; suggesting
resistance.

    About 40 years ago, Larch along the Eastern Shore had brown needles
during early camping season (i.e. about now). I contacted Lands and Forests
(now Natural Resources) and was told it would soon pass; some rust as I
recall.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville