[NatureNS] Observations Lunenburg North American Migration Count

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 17:25:35 +0000

--_45b28ae7-b342-4314-80d4-d816f51fe431_

Below where I wrote 3000 less species=2C that should be birds.
=20
Sincerely=2C
=20
James
=20

From: jrhbirder@hotmail.com
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Subject: [NatureNS] Observations Lunenburg North American Migration Count
Date: Tue=2C 29 May 2012 14:52:39 +0000

I took over data compilation this year for this area for the North American=
 Migration Count.  I still have one field observer to report in=2C but on t=
he basis of what I do have we tallied 106 species.  This does not include t=
he sp bird=2C which I do not think should be included as separate species a=
s they likely were species that we already have on the list=2C but my opini=
on really does not mater on this.  Anyhow=2C I had as many teams in the fie=
ld as I would have on the Lunenburg Christmas Bird Count and in a much larg=
er area of coverage.  A 20 km radius as compared to a big chunk of Lunenbur=
g County.  We had about 3000 less species believe it or not.  I'm not sure =
if that would be constituted due to waterfowl or just what would make the d=
ifference.  Maybe the crows roosting would signify this.  It just does not =
play right in my mind that we would find more birds here during the winter =
rather than in the spring in a larger area of coverage. =20
=20
I've nothing to compare previous years to as to numbers of species=2C but m=
y comments from looking at the stats that I do see would be low numbers of =
wood ducks=2C no teal=2C low mallards and American black ducks=2C osprey an=
d bald eagle numbers down=2C only one red-tailed hawk=2C when there are ton=
s around here=2C ring-necked pheasant numbers low=2C low rock pigeon number=
s=2C low gray jays=2C low boreal chickadees=2C low brown creepers=2C both l=
ow for golden-crowned kinglets and ruby-crowned kinglets=2C low hermit thru=
shes=2C missing and low warbler species.  Low for American redstart and mag=
nolia warbler especially.  Blackburnian and palm warbler also low. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
 		 	   		  =

--_45b28ae7-b342-4314-80d4-d816f51fe431_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Below where I wrote 3000 less species=2C that should be birds.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Sincerely=2C<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<DIV>
<DIV id=3DSkyDrivePlaceholder></DIV>
<HR id=3DstopSpelling>
From: jrhbirder@hotmail.com<BR>To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>Subject: [Nat=
ureNS] Observations Lunenburg North American Migration Count<BR>Date: Tue=
=2C 29 May 2012 14:52:39 +0000<BR><BR>
<STYLE><!--
.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P
{padding:0px=3B}
.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage
{font-size:10pt=3Bfont-family:Tahoma=3B}

--></STYLE>

<DIV dir=3Dltr>I took over data compilation this year for this area for the=
 North American Migration Count.&nbsp=3B I still have one field observer to=
 report in=2C but on the basis of what I do have we tallied 106 species.&nb=
sp=3B This does not include the sp bird=2C which I do not think should be i=
ncluded as separate species as they likely were species that we already hav=
e on the list=2C but my opinion really does not mater on this.&nbsp=3B Anyh=
ow=2C I had as many teams in the field as I would have on the Lunenburg Chr=
istmas Bird Count and in a much larger area of coverage.&nbsp=3B A 20 km ra=
dius as compared to a big chunk of Lunenburg County.&nbsp=3B We had about 3=
000 less species believe it or not.&nbsp=3B I'm not sure if that would be c=
onstituted due to waterfowl or just what would make the difference.&nbsp=3B=
 Maybe the crows roosting would signify this.&nbsp=3B It just does not play=
 right in my mind that we would find more birds here during the winter rath=
er than in the spring in a larger area of coverage.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR=
>I've nothing to compare previous years to as to numbers of species=2C but =
my comments from looking at the stats that I do see would be low numbers of=
 wood ducks=2C no teal=2C low mallards and American black ducks=2C osprey a=
nd bald eagle numbers down=2C only one red-tailed hawk=2C when there are to=
ns around here=2C ring-necked pheasant numbers low=2C low rock pigeon numbe=
rs=2C low gray jays=2C low boreal chickadees=2C low brown creepers=2C both =
low for golden-crowned kinglets and ruby-crowned kinglets=2C low hermit thr=
ushes=2C missing and low warbler species.&nbsp=3B Low for American redstart=
 and magnolia warbler especially.&nbsp=3B Blackburnian and palm warbler als=
o low.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>James R. Hirtle<BR>Bridgewater<BR></DIV></DI=

--_45b28ae7-b342-4314-80d4-d816f51fe431_--