[NatureNS] Blue Mountain Birch Cove Lakes Park public meeting

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 16:37:46 -0300

Hi Bob,

Sorry that you missed the meeting.  I did post an announcement for this
important event on NatureNS on May 23 in mid-afternoon and it did go
through - at least I received a copy!  Some 200 folks were in attendance
(standing room only!) so "overwhelming public support" for this Grand Vision
was achieved.

For anyone who missed the meeting, a copy of Peter Bigelow's presentation
will be posted on the halifax.ca web site soon.  HRM continues to ask for
citizen engagement on the concept and details of the Park and is accepting
submissions at  parkplan@halifax.ca.

The proposed Blue Mountain - Birch Cove Lakes Regional Park which will
include the BMBCL Wilderness Area, already protected by the Province in
2009, will be the largest near-urban wilderness area in Canada (~4000ha).
It will make a significant contribution to the Greenbelt being supported by
the OurHRM Alliance, will provide human-powered recreational opportunities
for over 400,000 HRM residents and will stop the continuing creep of urban
sprawl which is occurring around the Halifax/Bedford core.

The main reason that it will take some time to complete the Park is the fact
that about 40% of the land within the park boundary is privately-owned and
so HRM and/or the Province will have to purchase it or acquire it by some
other means - land swaps, donation, or expropriation (seldom done).

I am very optimistic about the final result but patience is going to be
required.

Cheers,
Bob McDonald,
Halifax