[NatureNS] re huge bumblebees on rhodos, Wolfville

Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 16:33:08 -0300
From: David McCorquodale <dbmcc09@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Jim:

Large bumble bees now (early June) will be queens.  Therefore each one
is likely to have her own colony.  Many of these are likely to be
_Bombus impatiens_.  This species was unknown in NS until about 1990.
Since then it has become the most common species in cities and most
towns.  Yes, despite the press, this is a species of bee that has
increased in geographic range and population in NS.

The first workers (all females) should be out in the next 10 days or
perhaps some are out now.  They are much smaller, less than half the
size of queens.  These female workers will forage, defend the nest and
expand the nest.  The next generation of workers will be a little
larger and by late August the females produced will be the size of the
large queens you are seeing now.

DBMcC