[NatureNS] re huge bumblebees on rhodos,

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 22:17:55 -0300

Hi Richard, Bev & All,                    June 4, 2012
    There is suddenly a large number of interesting threads on Naturens so I
will be brief.

    Excepting those who have a severe (& potentially fatal ?) allergy to bee
stings it is indeed strange but true that many adult humans are afraid of
bees, 'creepy crawlies' and just about anything that doesn't come in a
sanitized, sealed package.

    Hands-on exposure to the natural world at an early age, in the company
of mentors who are not at all afraid, is a great way to alleviate this kind
of irrational fear. But it must be hand-on; as opposed to the look but don't
touch nonsense (small heavily used parks excepted).

    And it cuts both ways. Any animal, human, carnivore, herbivore,
stinging arthropod... is more dangerous and more likely to be aggressive if
it feels threatened or in danger. So if you are afraid of being stung you, I
suspect, are more likely to bee stung.

    Yellow Jackets are really quite friendly, provided you don't damage
their nest or try to drive them away.

    But getting back to the core of this; encouraging each generation to
value the natural world is going to be a challenge.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville