[NatureNS] re unusual hummingbird feeder visitors

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 19:41:02 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

14px; "&gt;&lt;br&gt;&l

--Boundary_(ID_cNnY5Ml7eCRmi8DXxJmjUw)

My hummer feeders have been emptied several times by raccoons - and now
get taken in nightly like my seed feeders!

Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright, St Margarets Bay

On 08/06/2012 6:26 PM, James W. Wolford wrote:
> Bob & Marg et al., I recall from long ago in sw. B.C. and nw. U.S.,
> where hummer feeders are out at least 12 months a year, that purple
> finches are quite regular drinkers at such.  But goldfinches are new
> to the list in my memory.  I recall seeing an issue of Birds and
> Blooms magazine, I think, that showed the menagerie of birds and even
> mammals that visit hummer feeders -- that list included deer and there
> was a photo to prove it.  Orioles and downy woodpeckers are regulars
> in my own memory.  Squirrels too have sweet-tooths, and I wonder
> whether anyone on the list has seen flying squirrels, or red
> squirrels, or even gray squirrels, or chipmunks?  Of course raccoons
> bears too go after bird feeders, so I wonder about these as further
> candidates for taking down hummer feeders and sucking them dry?
>
> How about a list of insects now and other invertebrates?
>
> Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Robert Stevens <rocks@xcountry.tv>
>> Date: June 8, 2012 6:02:56 AM ADT
>> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Unusual Hummingbird feeder visitors
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. You are probably correct.
>>
>> Bob Stevens.
>>
>> On 2012-06-07, at 10:01 AM, David & Alison Webster wrote:
>>
>>> Animals exposed to cold require more fuel to keep warm; fat or sugar.
>>> Yt, DW
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Stevens" <rocks@xcountry.tv>

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      raccoons - and now get taken in nightly like my seed feeders!<br>
      Eleanor Lindsay<br>
      Seabright, St Margarets Bay<br>
      type="cite">Bob &amp; Marg et al., I recall from long ago in sw.
        <rocks@xcountry.tv>