[NatureNS] first monarch butterfly; black locust in bloom

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:33:14 -0300

--Apple-Mail-3-445141330
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

JUNE 11, 2012 -  Alison and Larry Bogan report that their FIRST
MONARCH of 2012 just arrived today at their big patch of common
milkweed at Cambridge Station, King's County.  It was a male and
looked to be in excellent shape.  (Monarchs begin to migrate from the
overwintering hibernacula in the high mountains of Mexico in Febrary,
I think, and mostly lay their first eggs in Texas.  Then there is at
least one more generation of eggs to adults in the middle states of
U.S.A. before the 3rd or 4th? generation of 2012 adults gets to
southern Canada, and of course they also reproduce here, especially
in places like the Bogans' monarch factory.  It remains to be seen
how many monarchs we will be seeing this year.  I believe that
"monarchwatch" is a really good Web site, or just Google "monarch
butterfly" for oodles of information.  This is a species at risk, for
several reasons, especially the tiny wintering areas in Mexico where
ecotourism competes with demand for firewood and organized loggers.

Also today I noticed in Wolfville that black locust trees, alias
"acacia", are strikingly in bloom.  Thus it must be close to time to
look for the other two species of Robinia, namely clammy locust and
bristly locust.  All three species liver here in Wolfville.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.
--Apple-Mail-3-445141330

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font =
face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica"><b>JUNE =
11, 2012</b> -&nbsp; Alison and Larry Bogan report that their <b>FIRST =
MONARCH</b> of 2012 just arrived today at their big patch of <b>common =
milkweed</b> at Cambridge Station, King's County.&nbsp; It was a male =
and looked to be in excellent shape.&nbsp; (Monarchs begin to migrate =
from the overwintering hibernacula in the high mountains of Mexico in =
Febrary, I think, and mostly lay their first eggs in Texas.&nbsp; Then =
there is at least one more generation of eggs to adults in the middle =
states of U.S.A. before the 3rd or 4th? generation of 2012 adults gets =
to southern Canada, and of course they also reproduce here, especially =
in places like the Bogans' monarch factory.&nbsp; It remains to be seen =
how many monarchs we will be seeing this year.&nbsp; I believe that<b> =
"monarchwatch"</b> is a really good Web site, or just Google "monarch =
butterfly" for oodles of information.&nbsp; This is a species at risk, =
for several reasons, especially the tiny wintering areas in Mexico where =
ecotourism competes with demand for firewood and organized =
loggers.</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal =
12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; "><br></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: =
12.0px Helvetica">Also today I noticed in Wolfville that <b>black locust =
trees, alias "acacia",</b> are strikingly in bloom.&nbsp; Thus it must =
be close to time to look for the other two species of <b>Robinia</b>, =
namely clammy locust and bristly locust.&nbsp; All three species liver =
here in Wolfville.</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal =
normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; "><br></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =

--Apple-Mail-3-445141330--