[NatureNS] re Farmed vs. Wild Salmon (a rant, sorry)

From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:54:40 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

--Apple-Mail-11-450028186
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Dear all,

I have the impression that the ups and downs of salmon runs in
various places, e.g., on both east and west coasts of Canada, are
quite mysterious and probably will continue to be so.  Examples in
our parts are northeastern N.B. and a few rivers in Maine with big
runs this year.  Sockeye salmon in the Fraser River in B.C. likewise
were pretty good in 2002, when Pat & I visited the run in the Adams
River near Kamloops, but became very low in the next "peak year" of
2006, but then had an historically huge peak in 2010 (every 4 years
is a peak year-class, even though they run every year).  That was a
miraculous but not-understood recovery from previous runs that were
multiples of millions of fish below the predictions.

This makes any relationship between the open-pen salmon "farming" or
feedlots and the wild salmon (of which there are 6 or 7 kinds of wild
salmon on the west coast, depending on how they are counted (include
Atlantic salmon and steelhead "salmon" (sea-run rainbow trout) plus
the 5 native species (sockey, chum, chinook, pink, and coho).

Thus the situation on the Pacific side of Canada, complicated by
separate management by the nw. States and Alaska (the latter
apparently being the very best, partly thanks to never allowing
salmon farming there (very enlightened, IMHO).

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville, who has an admitted bias against
farming or ranching any kind of animal that also exists in a wild and
especially native way in the same area.

P.S. PAUL's use of "DOF" (typo?) is very confusing to many readers,
including myself.  DFO is the federal dept. of Fisheries and Oceans,
while NSDFA would be the provincial Nova Scotia Dept. of Fisheries
and Aquaculture.

P.S.S. And, to get another thing or two on the record: yes, of
course, jobs are very important, but not at any cost.  Both the
federal DFO and the provincial NSDFA are blatant promoters of the
aquaculture industry in all of its forms, and yet both also have the
responsibilities of regulating the industry!  And, much worse, in
Nova Scotia, the same minister has two obviously opposing portfolios,
namely both Environment and Fisheries and Aquaculture (Sterling
Belliveau).

My next communication may discuss my disenchantment with the
governing NDP in Nova Scotia, after many years of support for same,
and my reasons involve not only salmon issues but also forestry
practices, esp. clearcutting, motorized vehicles (ATVs/OHVs) on
public rail trails near communities, and other things such as mink
farms and the probable link to pollution of watersheds.  On the other
hand, positively, the NDP has done some excellent things lately on
acquiring and designating protected spaces for future generations.

Begin forwarded message: