[NatureNS] Evening on the River

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:08:43 -0300

yiv1508252908 SPAN.yiv1508252908EmailS

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01CD4ACE.14F6F620

Hi Paul, David;
  fish ladders can have their problems, but overall they are better than =
no fish ladders. All the new Ducks Unlimited engineered marsh dams have =
them, and there is a major program in the European Union to retrofit old =
low-head dams with them. And, for example, they have saved the gaspereau =
run (and the associated commercial fishery) on the Gaspereau River.
   About fish migration in darkness: It is my understanding that most, =
if not all, anadromous fish species will not move through a fish ladder =
(or through a culvert) if it is dark. I have read of fish ladders =
equipped with lights. I understand that some fish species, such as the =
sturgeons, are extremely reluctant to use them. =20
   Dusan Soudek =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20