[NatureNS] A type of "pond" bird suggestions

From: AngelaJoudrey <aljoudrey@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:50:29 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_k4pIIJoWNfh7bfxofZ3qKQ)

Hello All.

I noticed a bird from a distance today at a pond. The pond is shallow and full of cat tails, but does have minnows, dragon flies, frogs, water beetles etc.

I know my description will be vague but if I could get some suggestions, I can google them and start to narrow them down.

Too far away to clearly see, and walking on the muddy bottom in amongst the bottoms of the cat tails, was a bird "smaller than a duck but bigger than a red wing black bird". It had a one note call and was not a red wing black bird and not a duck. The tail was short and the body was dark. There seemed to be a white spot near it's rump.

Now I know this is too vague to be of much use, but if people could forward me some bird names, it gives a place to begin my investigation.

Thanks for any help you might be able to send my way.

Angela in Windsor NS

"The significant problems of our time cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."
John Muir

--Boundary_(ID_k4pIIJoWNfh7bfxofZ3qKQ)

Hello All=2E=3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3EI noticed a bird from a distance today a=
t a pond=2E The pond is shallow and=A0 full of cat tails=2C but does hav=
e minnows=2C dragon flies=2C frogs=2C water beetles etc=2E=3Cbr /=3E=3Cb=
r /=3EI know my description will be vague but if I could get some sugges=
tions=2C I can google them and start to narrow them down=2E =3Cbr /=3E=3C=
br /=3EToo far away to clearly see=2C and walking on the muddy bottom in=
 amongst the bottoms of the cat tails=2C was a bird =26quot=3Bsmaller th=
an a duck but=A0 bigger than a red wing black bird=26quot=3B=2E It had a=
 one note call and was not a red wing black bird and not a duck=2E The t=
ail was short and the body was dark=2E There seemed to be a white spot n=
ear it=27s rump=2E =3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3ENow I know this is too vague to=A0=
 be of much use=2C but if people could forward me some bird names=2C it =
gives a place to begin my investigation=2E=3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3EThanks for=
 any help you might be able to send my way=2E=3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3EAngela =
in Windsor NS=3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr signature=3D=22separator=22 /=3E=26=
quot=3BThe significant problems of our time cannot be solved by the same=
 level of thinking that created them=2E=26quot=3B=3Cbr /=3EAlbert Einste=
in=3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3E=26quot=3BWhen one tugs at a single thing in natur=
e=2C he finds it attached to the rest of the world=2E=26quot=3B=3Cbr /=3E=
John Muir

--Boundary_(ID_k4pIIJoWNfh7bfxofZ3qKQ)--