[NatureNS] Cliff swallows?

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:11:10 +0000

--_cd064883-5948-42d8-889f-53e45a40a550_

Hi Andy and all:
=20
All of the sites that I've previously found them at are vacant and I've had=
 no reports of any either this year.   It appears to be even more scary tha=
n that for me.  Of course these are my own personal observations and should=
 not be taken as the big picture.  No black terns at Amherst=2C fewer hermi=
t thrushes around=2C lower numbers of warblers=2C few ruby-crowned kinglets=
=2C few red-winged blackbirds.  Dorothy Poole and I completed my Breeding B=
ird Route for Shelburne yesterday.  For those not familiar with that route =
it starts at Jordan Falls=2C goes through Shelburne=2C and up into Welshtow=
n.  We had fewer species by a good number overall.  We had no least flycatc=
hers until stop 50=2C where two were present=2C whereas in previous years t=
hey were throughout the route.  There were no winter wrens.  This is the fi=
rst year for us with no cardinals=2C red-winged blackbirds=2C grey catbirds=
=2C and ruby-crowned kinglets were absent.  Warbler numbers were very low. =
 On the plus side there were more black-throated blue warblers and at more =
locations and there seemed to be more swallows at more locations for both t=
ree and barn.   This is the first year we have not found an olive-sided fly=
catcher when birding after running the route.  There is a location at Clyde=
 River where we always had cliff swallows.  They were not present yesterday=
.  Through the area where Nova Scotia Power sprayed a few years ago on the =
route it was a virtual dead zone with no birds or only one or two distant. =
 Very little showed along the stretch where the spraying had occurred.  I m=
entioned this last year as well.
=20
As an aside=2C just after entering the road where we start the route at Jor=
dan Falls and somewhere around between stops  five or six=2C we heard a war=
bler call=2C which was not familiar=2C which sounded like that of a blue-wi=
nged warbler.  We were driving along in the car and with this survey you ar=
e under very tight time constraints=2C so we unfortunately could not stop t=
o check it out. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
=20

> From: aadean@ns.sympatico.ca
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: [NatureNS] Cliff swallows?
> Date: Sun=2C 17 Jun 2012 13:46:41 -0300
>=20
> Is anybody seeing cliff swallows this year?
> There was a breeding colony in Middleton from mid-May last year but not a=
=20
> feather this.....kinda scary.
>=20
> Andy and Lelia Dean
> 86 Baden Powell Drive
> Kentville=2C N.S.
> (902) 678-6243
>=20
>=20
>=20
 		 	   		  =

--_cd064883-5948-42d8-889f-53e45a40a550_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hi Andy and all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
All of the sites that I've previously found them at are vacant and I've had=
 no reports of any either this year.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B It appears to be even =
more scary than that for me.&nbsp=3B Of course these are my own personal ob=
servations and should not be taken as the big picture.&nbsp=3B No black ter=
ns at Amherst=2C fewer hermit thrushes around=2C lower numbers of warblers=
=2C&nbsp=3Bfew ruby-crowned kinglets=2C few red-winged blackbirds.&nbsp=3B&=
nbsp=3BDorothy Poole and I completed my Breeding Bird&nbsp=3BRoute for Shel=
burne yesterday.&nbsp=3B For those not familiar with that route it starts a=
t Jordan Falls=2C goes through Shelburne=2C and up into Welshtown.&nbsp=3B =
We had fewer species by a good number overall.&nbsp=3B We had no least&nbsp=
=3Bflycatchers until stop 50=2C where two were present=2C whereas in previo=
us years they were throughout the route.&nbsp=3B There were no winter wrens=
.&nbsp=3B This is the first year for us with no cardinals=2C red-winged bla=
ckbirds=2C grey catbirds=2C and ruby-crowned kinglets were absent.&nbsp=3B =
Warbler numbers were very low.&nbsp=3B On the plus side there were more bla=
ck-throated blue warblers and at more locations and there seemed to be more=
 swallows at more locations for both tree and barn.&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3BThis is=
 the first year we have not found an olive-sided flycatcher&nbsp=3Bwhen bir=
ding after running the route.&nbsp=3B There is a location at&nbsp=3BClyde R=
iver where we always had cliff swallows.&nbsp=3B They were not present yest=
erday.&nbsp=3B Through the area where Nova Scotia Power sprayed a few years=
 ago on the route it was a virtual dead zone with no birds or only one or t=
wo distant.&nbsp=3B Very little showed along the stretch where the spraying=
 had occurred.&nbsp=3B I mentioned this last year as well.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
As an aside=2C just after entering the road where we start the route at Jor=
dan&nbsp=3BFalls&nbsp=3Band&nbsp=3Bsomewhere around between stops&nbsp=3B f=
ive or six=2C we heard a warbler call=2C which was not familiar=2C which so=
unded like&nbsp=3Bthat of a blue-winged warbler.&nbsp=3B We were driving al=
ong in the car and with this&nbsp=3Bsurvey you are under&nbsp=3Bvery tight =
time constraints=2C so we unfortunately could not stop to check it out.&nbs=
p=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<DIV>
<DIV id=3DSkyDrivePlaceholder></DIV>&gt=3B From: aadean@ns.sympatico.ca<BR>=
&gt=3B To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>&gt=3B Subject: [NatureNS] Cliff swal=
lows?<BR>&gt=3B Date: Sun=2C 17 Jun 2012 13:46:41 -0300<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=
=3B Is anybody seeing cliff swallows this year?<BR>&gt=3B There was a breed=
ing colony in Middleton from mid-May last year but not a <BR>&gt=3B feather=
 this.....kinda scary.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Andy and Lelia Dean<BR>&gt=3B 8=
6 Baden Powell Drive<BR>&gt=3B Kentville=2C N.S.<BR>&gt=3B (902) 678-6243<B=