[NatureNS] Missing Toads

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:26:40 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 6/17/2012 3:05 PM, Larry at Bogan.ca wrote:
> Last Thursday at about 2pm, while paddling on Frog Lake (King Co) toads were trilling on both sides of the lake and seem to be answering each other. I heard at least five going during a 1/2 hr period.
>
> I found it a delight to stop and sit and just listen. There were no man-made noises at all (The Aurora from Greenwood Base fortunately waited a half hour to fly over).

* sometimes a particular sequence of weather can severely diminish the
amount of calling by Anurans - if the males can't get to the ponds until
the females are all ready at the same time, then they all arrive
together, each male who meets a receptive mate stops calling as soon as
he clasps her, and all the eggs may be laid in a night or two. The males
may also have used up much of their metabolic reserves waiting in
weather that was not quite warm enough, or too dry, to move to the
ponds. Then if there's a snap of hot or cold weather, the population may
disperse and the calling season is over. No problem for the frogs, since
all the eggs got laid and fertilized, but a big problem for naturalists
trying to monitor their population on the basis of the amount of calling.

fred.

--

fred
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad