[NatureNS] Three Fathom Harbour, June 18

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:36:36 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01CD4D78.E9D81840

I visited my cottage today for the first time in 2 weeks - a bad cold =
kept me away last week-end.  New since the last visit two weeks ago were =
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows (at least 3 males singing) and Willet =
chicks.  The adult Willets have brought their chicks from the nesting =
territories half a km or more inland to the feeding territory - the cove =
in front of my cottage.  Three pairs of adults were present, with broods =
of 4, 3 and 2 chicks respectively, showing the dangers of the journey to =
the shore.

Also, both Osprey nests around the harbour had nestlings present - no =
heads showing yet, but adults could be seen tearing up fish and feeding =
them to young. It was a windy day with choppy water, so no broods of =
Eider ducklings on the water, but I saw some sunning on the shore with =
adults.

Wonderful time of year.

Susann Myers
------=_NextPart_000_0023_01CD4D78.E9D81840

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I visited my cottage today for the =
first time in 2=20
weeks - a bad cold kept me away last week-end.&nbsp; New since the last =
visit=20
two weeks ago were Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows (at least 3 males =
singing) and=20
Willet chicks.&nbsp; The adult Willets have brought their chicks from =
the=20
nesting territories half a km or more&nbsp;inland to the feeding =
territory - the=20
cove in front of my cottage.&nbsp; Three pairs of adults were present, =
with=20
broods of 4, 3&nbsp;and 2 chicks respectively, showing the dangers of =
the=20
journey to the shore.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Also, both Osprey nests around the =
harbour had=20
nestlings present - no heads showing yet, but adults could be =
seen&nbsp;tearing=20
up fish and feeding&nbsp;them to young.&nbsp;It was a windy day with =
choppy=20
water, so no broods of Eider ducklings on the water, but I saw some =
sunning on=20
the shore with adults.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Wonderful time of year.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Susann Myers</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01CD4D78.E9D81840--