[NatureNS] Ocean acidification

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:45:15 -0300

--Apple-Mail-85--1024820629

Hi Fred,

On 20-Jun-12, at 12:14 PM, Frederick W. Schueler wrote:

> On 6/20/2012 9:21 AM, Christopher Majka wrote:
>
>> If this happens, a myriad of animals and plants in the ocean --
>> mollusks
>> (mussels, scallops, oysters, clams, snails), barnacles, sea urchins,
>> starfish, crinoids, corals, coralline algae, foraminifera, and
>> coccolithophores -- may simply dissolve into oblivion.
>
> * whatever happened to the old proposal to suck carbon out of the
> atmosphere by releasing iron into iron-deficient tropical ocean
> currents to increase planktonic productivity, and depositing a plume
> of fixed carbon (and planktonic CaCO3 shells?) on the downstream
> ocean floor? How would this impact acidification?

Well, it is an idea, (adding finely ground iron can increase
photosynthesis in tropical regions thirty-fold) and if things continue
to deteriorate we may be forced to resort to such ocean engineering
strategies. It's hard to imagine the engineering challenges of doing
this on a scale large enough to make a difference to the world's
oceans. You would need to use enormous amounts of iron and you would
generate vast quantities of carbohydrates. Even if you did this over
deep water, how long would this remain stable before decomposing and
releasing the CO^2?

All this argues for doing our utmost upfront to stop releasing the
carbon in the first place. I conclude my article by saying:

"The only way to stop ocean acidification -- and the only way to stop
climate change -- is for all of us to emit less carbon dioxide.
There's no way to gerrymander this. We can't postpone action on
climate change and ocean acidification until economic conditions are
ripe any more than we can postpone death or taxes. We must grapple
with these issues now. ...Turning our climate into a hothouse and our
oceans into a corrosive brew would be a bleak monument to human
stupidity, greed, and shortsightedness. Now is the time to act before
we create a corrosive oceanic wasteland."

Chris

> fred.
>         Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
> Bishops Mills Natural History Centre - http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm
> Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
> Daily Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
>         South Nation Basin Art & Science Book
>         http://pinicola.ca/books/SNR_book.htm
>    RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
>  on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
>   (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca/

Christopher Majka
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you
believe in it - Neil deGrasse Tyson

--Apple-Mail-85--1024820629

20-Jun-12, at 12:14 PM, Frederick W. Schueler wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On =
6/20/2012 9:21 AM, Christopher Majka wrote:<br><br><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">If this happens, a myriad of animals and plants in the =
scallops, oysters, clams, snails), barnacles, sea =
corals, coralline algae, foraminifera, and<br></blockquote><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">coccolithophores -- may simply dissolve into =
[...]
------------------<br> =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Frederick W. Schueler =
&amp; Aleta Karstad<br>Bishops Mills Natural History Centre - <a =
href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm">http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm</a><br>=
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - <a =
href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm">http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm</a>=
href=3D"http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/">http://karstaddailypai=
ntings.blogspot.com/</a><br> =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;South Nation Basin Art =
&amp; Science Book<br> =
&nbs