Fwd: [NatureNS] Beech Drops -> beech flea beetles

Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 16:39:58 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

color=3D"#000000"
Jim, Paul:
Jim, no conflict.  I'm no beetle expert (no doubt we'll hear from
Chris Majka, who is), but 'weevil' is the common name for a usually
smallish type of beetle with a longish, thin 'snout' for boring into
plant structures (you knew that).  Flea beetles are a sub-type of
weevil that can jump, as the name suggests.  I eventually ended up in
a Kansas State Univ web site that showed an example that looked like
the one we have, though presumably a different species.  They have
characteristically over-developed femurs (femora) on the hind
(metathoracic) legs, that power the jump.  Apparently all flea
beetles/weevils belong to the tribe Alticini of the leaf beetles,
Chrysomelidae.  This invader species is Orchestes fagi, according to a
June 2012 notice

www.halifax.ca/environment/documents/WeevilInfoBulletin.pdf

The drawing of a specimen there has the bandy-leg-looking femora
partly hidden by the body, so the legs don't look particularly
impressive. The bulletin also calls them '"flea" weevils'.

Paul -- our site is fairly isolated (no nearby beeches) but the C-H
article says they will also attack other trees like fruit trees,
though the bulletin does not mention this. The Kansas State site says
some can fly quite well, so they certainly can get around.
Steve