[NatureNS] pileated woodpecker nest news, Wolfville

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Sue & Sam Bissix <suebissix@yahoo.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:46:59 -0300

--Apple-Mail-17--574717304
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

JUNE 24, 2012 - Today I dropped in on Paul Steele at 60 Kent Ave. in
Wolfville to inquire about how the nesting pileated woodpeckers are
doing in his back yard, in a tall living poplar trunk.   Paul invited
me in and onto his back deck, where we had a good view of the nest-
hole, which had a head of a woodpecker looking out.   We saw the
adult male land on a nearby tree and stay on that trunk for a few
minutes.  Then it flew to the nest-hole, and the very large
youngsters in the cavity became very loud with hunger noises as the
male fed them (2 big nestlings?).  Paul has been watching them and
photographing them for quite a while, and he told me that back in the
Spring the woodpeckers had to evict starlings from the nest-cavity.
Paul showed me some very nice photos showing both adults and the
nestlings (as well as a starling earlier in the nest-entrance).

Paul says that gawkers are welcome to visit his yard and even view
the nest entrance from his back deck.  The nest cavity is about 3/5
of the way up a tall poplar trunk, and the opening faces west, i.e.
faces the house and the street.  But a courtesy knock on his door or
the doorbell would be a good idea, too.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.
--Apple-Mail-17--574717304

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-size: 12px; ">Today I dropped =
about how the <b>nesting pileated woodpeckers</b> are doing in his back =
yard, in a tall living poplar trunk. &nbsp; Paul invited me in and onto =
his back deck, where we had a good view of the nest-hole, which had a =
head of a woodpecker looking out. &nbsp; We saw the <b>adult male</b> =
land on a nearby tree and stay on that trunk for a few minutes.&nbsp; =
Then it flew to the nest-hole, and the very large youngsters in the =
cavity became very loud with hunger noises as the male fed them (2 big =
nestlings?).&nbsp; Paul has been watching them and photographing them =
for quite a while, and he told me that back in the Spring the =
<b>woodpeckers had to evict starlings</b> from the nest-cavity.&nbsp; =
Paul showed me some <b>very nice photos</b> showing both adults and the =
nestlings (as well as a starling earlier in the =
nest-entrance).</span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: =
0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-size: 12px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"font-size: 12px; ">Paul says that gawkers are welcome to visit =
his yard and even view the nest entrance from his back deck. &nbsp;The =
nest cavity is about 3/5 of the way up a tall poplar trunk, and the =
opening faces west, i.e. faces the house and the street. &nbsp;But a =
courtesy knock on his door or the doorbell would be a good idea, =
too.&nbsp;</span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal =
12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; "><br></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =

--Apple-Mail-17--574717304--