[NatureNS] Ripe wild blueberries !

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 07:51:00 -0300

Annabelle,
   blueberries need sun to flower and to bear fruit. The reality is that
they do extremely well for a few years after a fire or a clearcut, before
being outcompeted by other shrub and tree species. Even people farming
"wild" blueberries burn their fields every few years.
   Wilfrid Creighton, in his 1988 book "Forestkeeping: A History of the
Department of Lands and Forests in Nova Scotia 1926-1969" has much to say
about the tradition of setting "blueberry fires" in certain parts of the
province. Needless to say, it was not a tradition favoured by forest
managers.
   Dusan Soudek