[NatureNS] Lunenburg Whale Tours and Seabirds

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 01:22:09 +0000

--_3fd876d7-535a-4831-9799-3341b724de1b_

Hi all:
=20
I was talking to the Captain of The Lunenburg Whale Tours this evening.  He=
 told me that there has been an abundance of seabirds the past few weeks.  =
The other day he saw thousands of Great Shearwaters=2C there were goodly nu=
mbers of sooty shearwaters and some manx shearwaters.  He has been seeing t=
hese species on a regular basis.  He has also been seeing Atlantic puffins =
and razorbills. =20
=20
For the record=2C David Walmark described a bird to me that he saw off of H=
irtle's Beach=2C a few days ago that might have been a frigatebird.  I'm no=
t saying that it was=2C but from his description that is the only bird that=
 I can think of that might match what it could have been.  I've asked a co-=
worker to try and get a picture of a hummingbird that she described to me a=
s much larger than our ruby-throated hummingbird. It is dark on back of the=
 head.  I've been trying to get time to visit to see if I can set eyes on t=
his bird=2C but likely won't make it there until Monday.  It is most active=
 and seen usually in the early morning.  I'm not saying that it is anything=
 different at this point=2C but this is a person who is obsessed with the r=
uby-throated hummingbird and she has been observing them and feeding them f=
or years=2C so I feel that she would notice if there was one around differe=
nt than the norm. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_3fd876d7-535a-4831-9799-3341b724de1b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I was talking to the Captain of The Lunenburg Whale Tours this evening.&nbs=
p=3B He told me that there has been an abundance of seabirds the past few w=
eeks.&nbsp=3B The other day he saw thousands of Great Shearwaters=2C there =
were goodly numbers of sooty shearwaters and some manx shearwaters.&nbsp=3B=
 He has been seeing these species on a regular basis.&nbsp=3B He has also b=
een seeing Atlantic puffins and razorbills.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
For the record=2C David Walmark described a bird to me that he saw off of H=
irtle's Beach=2C a few days ago that might have been a frigatebird.&nbsp=3B=
 I'm not saying that it was=2C but from his description that is the only bi=
rd that I can think of that might match what it&nbsp=3Bcould have been.&nbs=
p=3B I've asked a co-worker to try and get a picture of a hummingbird that =
she described to me as much larger than our ruby-throated hummingbird.&nbsp=
=3BIt is dark on back of the head.&nbsp=3B I've been trying to get time to =
visit to see if I can set eyes on this bird=2C but likely won't make it the=
re until Monday.&nbsp=3B It is most active and seen usually in the early mo=
rning.&nbsp=3B I'm not saying that it is anything different at this point=
=2C but this is a person who is obsessed with the ruby-throated hummingbird=
 and she has been observing them and feeding them for years=2C so I feel th=
at she would notice if there was one around different&nbsp=3Bthan the norm.=
&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_3fd876d7-535a-4831-9799-3341b724de1b_--