[NatureNS] Whale spectacular, Western Head, Queen's Co.

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 20:25:42 -0300

When I arrived at Western Head near Liverpool for a sea-watch this morning about 0900,
three large whales (2 Fins and a probable Humpback) were feeding on schooling fish only
100-200 m off the rocks at the point. They were accompanied by a group (6-10) of Harbour
Porpoises, about 10 Grey Seals, and a cloud of Gannets that built up to about 150 during an
hour of so. A Great Shearwater came in to have a look, and the abundant D-cr Cormorants
were so full of fish that they looked rotund.

Also at Western Head, 5 E. Willets and 3 adult Ruddy Turnstones passed by going SW, and
I saw about 10 Common Terns, all adults. The Eider flocks (nearly all males in eclipse) now
number about 300, and several flocks of 50-100 passed by offshore going SW, I know not
where. There was a Whimbrel with a group of 9 E. Willets at Eagle Head Beach.

Although I couldn't find Piping Plover at Ragged Harbour Beach earlier in the season, there
was an adult and a very mobile downy young bird there this afternoon. This must have been
the result of a very late nesting or re-nesting.

Eric L. Mills
286 Kingsburg Road,
RR#1, Rose Bay, NS B0J 2X)
Canada