[NatureNS] Norway Maple root grafting

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 20:40:40 -0300

Dear All,                July 22, 2012
    A hedge of Norway Maple, over a period or 30 years or so, gradually
replaced a hedge of Liliac as they were supressed by large Ash trees at both
ends. I decided to thin the Norway Maple hedge and girdled two trees three
or perhaps four years ago.

    I expected these girdled trees to be dead within two years but they were
still full of life in 2012. The only way I can account for this is to assume
that they readily establish connections with sound trees by root grafts. And
this in turn may explain the ability of these trees to grow well in dense
thickets/hedges.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville