[NatureNS] Ticks Now Throughout HRM

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:31:24 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Maria Forman" <maria@seasidehighspeed.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Even though I live in a very rural area, with lots of woods around, I've
been lucky in previous years regarding ticks...this year, so far, 2 ticks
removed on my cat (Advantage and Revolution for cats DO NOT kill ticks,
only fleas).  The other day I found a fully engorged tick on my living
room floor...I groomed all 3 of my double-coated dogs.  Didn't find any
more, but did find a mark on one, which I assume is where the tick was.  I
do not use "preventative" flea meds on my dogs.  They are groomed on a
regular basis, and flea medication is only used IF fleas are discovered.

I did, however find the coolest tool at the Vets.  It's called a tick
remover, and it's like a tiny, tiny crowbar....slide it in place under the
tick, give a gentle twist, and it's OUT...very cool!!!!
Maria
Debert

To kill ticks, it is only necessary to put them into water with a bit of
detergent (or even just soap).  When thus wetted, the tick sinks to the
bottom of the jar and drowns.  No need to use inflammable substances.
When I was growing up, people used kerosene; but that is unnecessary, and
simply introduces a household hazard.

Ticks are favoured by warm winters, and by the presence of hosts such as
Canis familiaris, the domestic dog.  Cats also get ticks, including the
“dog tick.”  Pet owners can never intercept all the ticks that their pets
carry.

Deer are prime hosts.  They are bug, juicey, and move around.  The deer
population increases often with human population (believe it or not),
because hunters cannot get at deer in residential areas, and the natural
predators are gone.  Deer thrive on a diet of decorative plantings.

An alternative host for the deer tick is the deer mouse and the
white-footed mouse (both Genus Peromyscus).  These cute rodent loves to
invade houses, or live around the decorative plantings.  The mice are
extremely abundant, and difficult to eliminate.