[NatureNS] Re: guesstimate of 18,570 peeps on east Evangeline Beach July 30/12

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:16:39 -0300
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Sue Abbott <sabbott@bsc-eoc.org>

Yes, I do have 6 flagged SESA as of yesterday. I didn't post a photo
because the flag is very muddy & all we can say is that the first
digit is 5 (or 3) which in either case means the bird was flagged in
Delaware Bay in May, 2009, "my" oldest bird by two years.

Your 18,750 figure looks like mine. On July 26th I submitted 20,000 to
eBird & on the 31st I submitted 15,000. Those figures don't show
anywhere yet because the eBird computer sends any SESA over 500 (at
least in July) off for review.

On the 31st I went to East Point at 8:15 AM, a full 3.5 hours before
high tide, to walk to Horton & back. I was mildly surprised by 8:45 to
9:15 to see large flocks high in the sky headed S right out of the
Basin, apparently. I felt they were going "inland" for high tide.
These were my estimated 15,000. Later I was micro-scanning one small
flock of 300 & photographing the flagged bird, paying no attention to
the sky. The flocks you counted on the 30th could have been similar
flocks returning to feed, and others. On the 30th, at high tide, three
of us saw one very large flock way out over the Basin, just "sitting"
there. I didn't try to estimate it. Mark Elderkin was telling me that
this is normal flock behaviour too.

Rick Whitman