[NatureNS] Boneset and butterflying Tidnish-Heather Beach

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 09:42:52 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_02E4_01CD715C.5A2DE6E0

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi Paul and all
Jim Taylor ( formerly from Dartmouth, living in Trenton Ont. and =
vacationing near Heather Beach) hosted me in the Tidnish-Pugwash area on =
Tues. July 31 for a day of butterflying. Indeed we saw Boneset at some =
point in the afternoon with a butterfly on it- an Atlantis Fritillary.=20

It was a somewhat slow day for butterflying, but according to the =
Maritime Butterfly atlas director, John Kylmko, on par with what others =
are seeing in the middle of the summer.
When I left home in Plymouth, it was nice and calm and all the little =
coves on the drive up had glass-like water of high tides. When I opened =
the car door at Jim's I could not believe how windy it was. Jim said it =
had just come up and it stayed windy till I arrived home after 9 last =
night when it was perfectly calm again.=20

We started by visiting a very tiny cranberry plot in the corner of a =
farmer's field ( Northport square). There were about 8 rather fresh =
Northern Crescents which I had not seen for a good number of weeks plus =
some Silver-bordered (SB) Fritillaries. The crescents were new for the =
Northport square.=20

We then decided we would work our way to the West Linden Rd. ( Northport =
square) where Jim had the Salt Marsh Coppers ( formerly Maritime Copper) =
and when we reached his spot along the Shinimicas R. there were good =
numbers (40-50) on tansy along the road shoulder. We did not have to go =
into the marsh at all. Jim said the numbers were down considerably from =
when he first saw them when there were 100's. It was pretty impressive =
to me with several flower heads  having 3 or more on them. I thanked Jim =
for showing me this new species for me. Now can I find some more in that =
missing gap on the maps between Caribou and Cape Breton!
=20
Both of us felt we would then work the Amherst Shore square thinking the =
marsh area along the stream through the provincial park was similar to =
the Shinimicas. After an hour we concluded it was not. Very little =
butterfly life.  For the square we added SB Fritillary, Cabbage White, =
Clouded Sulphur and Common Wood Nymph

We then moved on to the Tidnish square focusing on the area around a =
large meadow-bog or drained dam along the Joe Bert Rd. The wind was =
pretty strong here and we did not add much.  We later found a woods road =
to walk in ~ 1.5 km with good numbers of SB Frit and Atlantis Frit- =
maybe an, Aphrodite??.=20
We added a Painted Lady on the way back home at 4. So for Tidnish square =
we added Cab. White, Clouded Sulphur, Common Wood Nymph, Silver-bordered =
Fritillary-15, Atlantis Fritillary-6 and Painted Lady.=20

It was a fun day and great to spend it with Jim who has found an =
exciting new hobby late in his many decades observing nature. His =
excitement is very contagious

We did observe a few interesting birds such as a flying Common Nighthawk =
while observing the Coppers (45 54.102  63 52.693), 2 Eastern Kingbirds =
near Amherst Shore, and maybe 8 or so American Kestrel along power lines =
on our route.  There were a few Bonaparte's Gulls at Bayhead coming and =
going through Colchester Co.=20
cheers
Ken

 ----- Original Message -----=20