[NatureNS] Sounds of High Summer

Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 01:18:51 -0300
From: Doug Linzey <doug@fundymud.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  Patricia. Chalmers writes:
>     Now that we are in the hottest part of the summer, and the
> mid-point between solstice and equinox, the songbirds are getting
> pretty quiet.  So one is glad to notice some new sounds. I've been
> hearing cicadas for about a week now in the city (although my brother
> says they have been buzzing in Bedford for longer than that).  And
> last Tuesday night, for the first time this year, I heard crickets
> chirping in the evening.  I've heard them every night now since. I
> associate both of these with high summer.

This is interesting. I'm always surprised that cicadas start up as late
as they do. None here on the North Mountain yet. But I did see a cricket
(first I've seen this year) yesterday. A persistent bird sound here
nowadays is the Black-throated Green Warbler, which nests in our woods.
The Ovenbirds have stopped calling.

Doug Linzey
Arlington, NS