[NatureNS] Sounds of High Summer

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 13:25:11 -0300

Yesterday, visiting son, Andrew, and I did a longish hike into the Whopper
Drop trails, into and then west of the Blue Mountain Birch Cove Lakes
(BMBCL) Wilderness Area close (too close) to Bayers Lake Business Park
(BLBP).  After about an hour of hiking, we finally left the BLBP noise
behind and could appreciate the sounds of nature...  It sure is a quiet time
of year!!

Saw but did not hear Northern Flicker, Dark-eyed Junco and Common
Yellowthroat, but then a Robin called, and near the south shoreline of
Susies lake, we heard a Common Loon (one short call). Just a little way out
on the lake, we saw an adult being closely followed by a young bird, about
75% the size of the adult.  Two months ago, we saw a pair of adults in this
same remote location, so it is gratifying to know that breeding was
successful!!  The only bird consistently singing both on our way in, and 2
hours later on our way out, was a Red-eyed Vireo.

Also noted lots of odes, mostly damsels, and a few darners but they don't
make much noise!  The only larger butterfly seen was Red Admiral but there
were many skippers enroute.  No cicadas or crickets were heard.

This privately-owned land, mostly a deciduous forest with some quite large
Red Oak and Yellow Birch, has been designated by HRM to become part of the
BMBCL Regional Park and we wait with increasing impatience for HRM to begin
to acquire and assemble the land for the Park; we've been waiting for 6
years now!

Cheers,
Bob McDonald
Halifax