[NatureNS] Bird mentions

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 05:30:46 +0000

--_2aa872f9-dad3-4ff7-8b49-caf6609905e3_

Hi all:
=20
I noticed after dark last night at the Lunenburg Folk Harbour festival that=
 there were lots of bird calls showing that migrants were on the move overh=
ead.  This evening I saw my first flock of about 40 common grackles travell=
ing with a huge flock of European starlings.  A number of other large group=
s of starlings also passed by. =20
=20
Before I mention the next thing I'll need to supply a little bit of history=
.  For those of you who are Folk music oriented=2C you might not have heard=
 that Ron Hynes has throat cancer and has had to cancel performances.  He w=
as part of the Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival line-up this year=2C but due=
 to the new development he was not able to come.  Tonight a lot of the othe=
r performers put on a tribute for Ron.  It was really great=2C but everytim=
e someone would sing one of Ron's songs somewhere throughout the song a mal=
e northern cardinal would call a number of times.  Now there is always the =
possibility that someone hasd an ipod with a bird ap on it and was playing =
a joke on me=2C but at this point I believe that it was a real cardinal cal=
ling.  I thought that this was really neat and likely co-incidental.  Altho=
ugh maybe some pitch in the instruments might have set the cardinal off to =
calling.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_2aa872f9-dad3-4ff7-8b49-caf6609905e3_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I noticed after dark last night at the Lunenburg Folk Harbour festival that=
 there were lots of bird calls showing that migrants were on the move overh=
ead.&nbsp=3B This evening I saw my first flock of about 40 common grackles =
travelling with a huge flock of European starlings.&nbsp=3B A number of oth=
er large groups of starlings also passed by.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Before I mention the next thing I'll need to supply a little bit of history=
.&nbsp=3B For those of you who are Folk music oriented=2C you might not hav=
e heard that Ron Hynes has throat cancer and has had to cancel performances=
.&nbsp=3B He was part of the Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival line-up this y=
ear=2C but due to the new development he was not able to come.&nbsp=3B Toni=
ght a lot of the other performers put on a tribute for Ron.&nbsp=3B It was =
really great=2C but everytime someone would sing one of Ron's songs somewhe=
re throughout the song a male northern cardinal would call a number of time=
s.&nbsp=3B Now there is always the possibility that someone hasd an ipod wi=
th a bird ap on it and was playing a joke on me=2C but at this point I beli=
eve that it was a real cardinal calling.&nbsp=3B I thought that this was re=
ally neat and likely co-incidental.&nbsp=3B Although maybe some pitch in th=
e instruments might have set the cardinal off to calling.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_2aa872f9-dad3-4ff7-8b49-caf6609905e3_--