[NatureNS] Halifax Harbour birds

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:55:14 -0300
From: Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Eleanor,
   your question is an excellent one. Are there truly more birds around Halifax Harbour? I don't think anyone has kept track, except possibly the annual Christmas Bird Counts. If there are more bird reports, it could be simply to more reporters.
   More people live along the waterfront; in Halifax, Dartmouth, and Bedford; than ten years ago. There are some new trails in the area, such as the Dartmouth Harbourfront Trail, which also bring more people to the water. And birding may be becoming more popular.
   There is also some new roosting habitat, such as the new breakwater at Kings Wharf in downtown Dartmouth or the faux beach in downtown Halifax (Sands at Salter).
   The large concentrations of gulls at discharging combined sewer outlets seem to be history, as these outlets now spew raw sewage only after heavy rains when the treatment plants are overwhelmed. And we've had no heavy rains lately....
   Dusan Soudek