[NatureNS] Painted Ladies

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 18:46:00 -0300

The outbreak of Painted lady's is, of course, the direct consequence of the
large number of migrants that arrived in May/June. These succesfully bred on
everything from garden Mallow and Hollyhocks to burdocks, artemesia and
thistle and now the "made in Canada" generation is emerging and starting to
mass for their rather disorganized southward migration, which is why they
are common in coastal areas. It has been many years since we have had this
kind of influx of painted ladies. The first two years of the butterfly atlas
project only turned up 10 records. It would be easy to duplicate that
numbner in ten or fifteen minutes this year.

Jim Edsall
Dartmouth, N.S.
check out my personal website at
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/jim.edsall/

I thought my yard was full of butterflies but my sister and I just returned
from Western Head and it is just alive with butterflies out by the
lighthouse. Hundreds of Painted Ladies, a few American Painted Ladies mixed
in, and monarchs. We figure not quite  a hundred of them but well over 50
for sure. The place is just shimmering with them. Exciting. So where do they
go?