[NatureNS] Spider Question

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:10:43 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-DEF6D18D-9F19-4BE5-8894-E4B6735FAE1F

Paul,

The exuviae (empty exoskeletons) of spiders are often found where they have b=
een hanging out.  A spider will shed the exoskeleton - I think it is 9 times=
 - during its growth.  The exuviae often look like a dead spider if you happ=
en to find one soon after it has been shed.  They tend to bleach out after a=
 few days.  In my pbase galleries, there are a couple of photos of a Dolomed=
es (Fishing Spider) found beneath a board soon after it had shed its exoskel=
eton.  The interesting thing was how the spider ran back to the exuviae when=
 it realized that it was being observed.  It may have felt safer there.  As y=
ou will note from the photo, this spider was quite a bright almost-orange co=
lour.  The normal colour would be a dull brown.  As is the case with many cr=
eatures that shed their skins, a freshly shed spider tends to look a bit bri=
ghter than normal. =20
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/33269111
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/33269112
A side note to this.  Three years ago, I imported a conversion van from Flor=
ida.  While replacing the spare tire on the under-body carrier, I noticed we=
irdly stretchy spider webbing that I immediately recognized as typical of a B=
lack Widow spider.  I found the spider inside the trailer hitch socket, behi=
nd a plastic cover.  The large female was inside the socket with several her=
 own exuviae and the dried bodies of numerous prey, so she had obviously bee=
n in there awhile!  She was now very large and was not a Black Widow, but in=
stead a Brown Widow (Latrodectus geometricus). =20

Bev =20
Round Hill, N.S.  in summer

On 2012-08-22, at 9:31 AM, Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All
> This morning on the deck there was what looked like the
> skeleton of a spider. The kind with the banded legs - they
> are very plentiful around here just now and have webs set up
> all over the place. Its legs are between 2 - 3 cms long.
> My question is Do Spiders shed their outer skeleton as the age or
> is it a dead spider I found and something has eaten the working parts?
> Have a nice end to the summer
> Paul
>=20

--Apple-Mail-DEF6D18D-9F19-4BE5-8894-E4B6735FAE1F

ave been hanging out. &nbsp;A spider will shed the exoskeleton - I think it i=
s 9 times - during its growth. &nbsp;The exuviae often look like a dead spid=
er if you happen to find one soon after it has been shed. &nbsp;They tend to=
 bleach out after a few days. &nbsp;In my pbase galleries, there are a coupl=
e of photos of a Dolomedes (Fishing Spider) found beneath a board soon after=
 it had shed its exoskeleton. &nbsp;The interesting thing was how the spider=
 ran back to the exuviae when it realized that it was being observed. &nbsp;=
It may have felt safer there. &nbsp;As you will note from the photo, this sp=
ider was quite a bright almost-orange colour. &nbsp;The normal colour would b=
e a dull brown. &nbsp;As is the case with many creatures that shed their ski=
ns, a freshly shed spider tends to look a bit brighter than normal. &nbsp;</=
div><div><a href=3D"http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/33269111">http://ww=
se.com/crocodile/image/33269112">http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/332691=
nversion van from Florida. &nbsp;While replacing the spare tire on the under=
-body carrier, I noticed weirdly stretchy spider webbing that I immediately r=
ecognized as typical of a Black Widow spider. &nbsp;I found the spider insid=
e the trailer hitch socket, behind a plastic cover. &nbsp;The large female w=
as inside the socket with several her own exuviae and the dried bodies of nu=
merous prey, so she had obviously been in there awhile! &nbsp;She was now ve=
ry large and was not a Black Widow, but instead a Brown Widow (<i style=3D"p=
adding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px;=
 margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "=
M, Paul MacDonald &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:paulrita2001@yahoo.com">paulrita2001=
ing on the deck there was what looked like the</div><div>skeleton of a spide=
r. The kind with the banded legs - they</div><div>are very plentiful around h=
ere just now and have webs set up</div><div>all over the place. Its legs are=
 between 2 - 3 cms long.</div><div>My question is Do Spiders shed their oute=
r skeleton as the age or</div><div>is it a dead spider I found and something=

--Apple-Mail-DEF6D18D-9F19-4BE5-8894-E4B6735FAE1F--