[NatureNS] report feeding adult Northern Gannets

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:13:34 -0300
From: iamclar@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, BSC NS Plovers <nsplovers@gmail.com>
Cc: "Gjerdrum,Carina [Dartmouth]" <carina.gjerdrum@ec.gc.ca>

Very interesting, Carina and Sue.  I found a distressed adult -
probably too far gone for rehab, on a beach recently, but it appeared
to have a broken wing, not necessarily starved. My impression is that
gannets around here are diving, but in unusual inshore localities.
This along with reports of others on the influx of subtropical fishes
suggests that there is a near-surface warm-water resource available,
so that adults from the normally cooler colonies might not  be
compensated only by northward movement.

Cheers, Ian
Ian McLaren