[NatureNS] Sun images

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:35:48 -0300

Dear All,                        Aug 27, 2012
    Today at about 4:00 pm I noticed that, in addition to the usually
angular and large light areas where sunlight passed through relatively large
gaps in the multi-layered Norway Maple canopy, there were usually 1-4 nearly
circular light areas 2-6 cm in diameter on the face of 1-3 trunks, and
several oval or distorted oval light areas where sunlight hit lateral to the
trunk middle. I had not noticed this before but it no doubt happens whenever
leaf gaps and the sun line up with trunks

    These round or distorted round light areas were presumably due to
'pinholes' in the canopy acting in effect as pinhole cameras and projecting
an image of the sun on the tree bark.

    This persisted until about 4:30 pm.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville