[NatureNS] A few days spent on Brier Island

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:22:50 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_03E9_01CD89C6.74181E40

Wendy and I decided to "escape" to Brier for a few days - arrived late =
Wed evening and departed Sat morning.

We spent much of the day Thurs helping MTRI staff carry out a census of =
the endangered Mountain Avens (Geum peckii) in Big Meadow Bog.  =
Interestingly, Brier is one of only 2 locations for this plant in Canada =
and has by far the largest number of plants. (Digby Neck is the other =
Canadian location and it is also found in the White Mountains in N.H.) =
The bog has been altered in an attempt to drain it for agricultural =
purposes (this is historical) so the bog is drier now and is being =
overrun by large numbers of woody plants (like blackberry) so it's a =
hard slog into and out of there.  Apart from the G. peckii, both Bog =
Goldenrod and Bog Aster were abundant.  We had several sightings of =
Northern Harrier and there were many hummingbirds, including at least =
one male, frequenting the Spotted Touch-Me-Not.
At the end of our exhausting day, as we left the runway from which we =
accessed the bog, we spooked a small bird off the gravel road into the =
trees. I paused as others walked on. After a few seconds, the bird flew =
back to the road about 40 m from me. Through the binoculars, it appeared =
to be a Lark Sparrow and I took several rather poor but documentary pics =
- it was indeed a LASP, the highlight of our sojourn to Brier!

Friday morning, we did a long walk from Gull Rock Road around to Whipple =
Point looking for shorebirds in Big Pond and Pond Cove.  Highlights were =
two Baird's Sandpipers, and more Least than Semipalm Sandpipers.  An =
immature Bald Eagle could be seen at the far end of Big Pond. Also =
noteworthy were 65-70 Grey Seals in Pond Cove (lots of racket!).

We did the late afternoon Mariner Cruises pelagic and it was the =
roughest trip I've ever done into the Bay of Fundy.  Most of the =
children on board were quite ill and several adults looked pretty green! =
 Although the lack of whales disappointed many, the seabirds were good =
with Northern Gannet, Great Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, and both =
phalaropes putting on very good shows.  Also noted 2 or 3 Sooty =
Shearwaters, 2 Northern Fulmar, several Puffins, and one unidentified =
tern species.  Perched in the trees overlooking the water, we noted =
Great Blue Heron, Osprey, Red-tailed Hawk and another Bald Eagle.

We made lots of stops, for geocaching, short hikes and general =
exploration, on our return.  Noteworthy were a Baltimore Oriole at =
Central Grove cemetery along Flour Cove Road on Digby Neck and Peregrine =
Falcon as we walked the new trail at Gullivers Cove.  As I scanned the =
110-m cliff at trail end, I noticed what might be a PEFA nest site =
(eyrie?) with another adult bird on a step on the cliff face.  I have a =
very poor picture - the bird was likely over 500m away from us.  Does =
anyone know if information on possible PEFA nest sites is collected by =
anyone?

Cheers,
Bob McDonald
Halifax
------=_NextPart_000_03E9_01CD89C6.74181E40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE>.hmmessage P {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: =
0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
BODY.hmmessage {
	FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; FONT-SIZE: 10pt
}
</STYLE>

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.19298"></HEAD>
<BODY class=3Dhmmessage bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Wendy and I decided to "escape" to Brier for a =
few days -=20
arrived late Wed evening and departed Sat morning.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>We spent much of the day Thurs helping MTRI =
staff carry=20
out a census of the endangered Mountain Avens (<EM>Geum peckii</EM>) in =
Big=20
Meadow Bog.&nbsp; Interestingly, Brier is one of only 2 locations for =
this plant=20
in Canada and has by far the largest number of plants. (Digby Neck is =
the other=20
Canadian location and it is also found in the White Mountains in N.H.) =
The bog=20
has been altered in an attempt to drain it for agricultural purposes =
(this is=20
historical) so the bog is drier now and is being overrun by large =
numbers of=20
woody plants (like blackberry) so it's a hard slog into and out of =
there.&nbsp;=20
Apart from the <EM>G. peckii</EM>, both Bog Goldenrod and Bog Aster were =

abundant.&nbsp; We had several sightings of Northern Harrier and there =
were many=20
hummingbirds, including at least one male, frequenting the Spotted=20
Touch-Me-Not.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>At the end of our exhausting day, as we left the =
runway=20
from which we accessed the bog, we spooked a small bird off the gravel =
road into=20
the trees. I paused as others walked on. After a few seconds, the bird =
flew back=20
to the road about 40 m from me.&nbsp;Through the binoculars, it appeared =
to be a=20
<STRONG>Lark Sparrow</STRONG> and I took several rather poor but =
documentary=20
pics - it was indeed a LASP, the highlight of our sojourn to =
Brier!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Friday morning, we did a long walk from Gull =
Rock Road=20
around to Whipple Point looking for shorebirds in Big Pond and Pond =
Cove.&nbsp;=20
Highlights were two Baird's Sandpipers, and more Least than Semipalm=20
Sandpipers.&nbsp; An immature Bald Eagle could be seen at the far end of =
Big=20
Pond. Also noteworthy were 65-70 Grey Seals in Pond Cove (lots of=20
racket!).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>We did the late afternoon Mariner Cruises =
pelagic and it=20
was the roughest trip I've ever done into the Bay of Fundy.&nbsp; Most =
of the=20
children on board were quite ill and several adults looked pretty =
green!&nbsp;=20
Although the lack of whales disappointed many, the seabirds were good =
with=20
Northern Gannet, Great Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, and both =
phalaropes=20
putting on very good shows.&nbsp; Also noted 2 or 3 Sooty Shearwaters, 2 =

Northern Fulmar, several Puffins, and one unidentified tern =
species.&nbsp;=20
Perched in the trees overlooking the water, we noted Great Blue Heron, =
Osprey,=20
Red-tailed Hawk and another Bald Eagle.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>We made lots of stops, for geocaching, short =
hikes and=20
general exploration, on our return.&nbsp; Noteworthy were a Baltimore =
Oriole at=20
Central Grove cemetery along Flour Cove Road on Digby Neck and Peregrine =
Falcon=20
as