[NatureNS] Birding today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 02:13:26 +0000

--_e4acec77-71f5-47c0-8d3a-486bbf7d486f_

I'll send more of a posting when I have time.  Pat and I made a run to Port=
 Clyde=2C Bacarro=2C and Cape Sable Island Today.  Noteables: =20
=20
=20
Three solitary sandpipers in a pond in Hebbville=2C near Bernard L. Mailman=
 Projects Ltd.
=20
Tons of belted kingfishers.  We had eight.
=20
Nice groups of warbler migrants everywhere=2C except for Bacarro and Cape S=
able Island. =20
=20
Somewhere close to where the canvasback was last year=2C I found an indigo =
bunting perched on the wires beside the road.  It was in winter plumage.  A=
fter watching it for about ten minutes it dropped down into the vegetation =
on the shore side of the road by the saltmarsh. =20
=20
In a group of migrants=2C which did include three magnolia warblers=2C I'm =
pretty sure I had a prairie warbler=2C but it did not stay still long enoug=
h for my saying positively.  The lighting was bad into the sun when we were=
 watching it. =20
=20
At Villagedale one group of migrants contained 25 palm warblers=2C two blac=
k and white warblers=2C a magnolia warbler=2C a boreal chickadee and seven =
black-capped chickadees.
=20
Cape Sable Island Highlights were 20 red knots=2C and 150 green-winged teal=
.  This is the most green-winged teal that I've seen at one location in abo=
ut 20 years.  Back then it was not a problem to see between 500-700 green-w=
inged teal at one particular location in Lunenburg County that I used to fr=
equent.  This would be on an October morning during the first of duck seaso=
n.  Now you are lucky to see around a dozen.  As an aside=2C during the pas=
t three years I've just gone there with binoculars to see what birds were a=
bout and goodly numbers of shorebirds move through when there are few elsew=
here. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_e4acec77-71f5-47c0-8d3a-486bbf7d486f_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt" size=3D4>I'll send more of a posting when I=
 have time.&nbsp=3B Pat and I made a run to Port Clyde=2C Bacarro=2C and Ca=
pe Sable Island Today.&nbsp=3B Noteables:&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Three solitary sandpipers in a pond in Hebbville=2C near Ber=
nard L. Mailman Projects Ltd.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Tons of belted kingfishers.&nbsp=3B We had eight.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Nice groups of warbler migrants everywhere=2C except for Bac=
arro and Cape Sable Island.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Somewhere close to where the canvasback was last year=2C I f=
ound an indigo bunting perched on the wires beside the road.&nbsp=3B It was=
 in winter plumage.&nbsp=3B After watching it for about ten minutes it drop=
ped down into the vegetation on the shore side of the road by the saltmarsh=
.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>In a group of migrants=2C which did include three magnolia w=
arblers=2C I'm pretty sure I had a prairie warbler=2C but it did not stay s=
till long enough for my saying positively.&nbsp=3B The lighting was bad int=
o the sun when we were watching it.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>At Villagedale one group of migrants contained 25 palm warbl=
ers=2C two black and white warblers=2C a magnolia warbler=2C a boreal chick=
adee and seven black-capped chickadees.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Cape Sable Island Highlights were 20 red knots=2C and 150 gr=
een-winged teal.&nbsp=3B This is the most green-winged teal that I've seen =
at one location in about 20 years.&nbsp=3B Back then it was not a problem t=
o see between 500-700 green-winged teal&nbsp=3Bat one particular location i=
n Lunenburg County that I used to frequent.&nbsp=3B This would be on an Oct=
ober morning during the first of duck season.&nbsp=3B Now you are lucky to =
see around a dozen.&nbsp=3B As an aside=2C during the past three years I've=
 just gone there with binoculars to see what birds were about and goodly nu=
mbers of shorebirds move through when there are few elsewhere.&nbsp=3B </FO=
NT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Bridgewater</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_e4acec77-71f5-47c0-8d3a-486bbf7d486f_--