[NatureNS] Questions regarding birds

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 02:06:53 +0000

--_8f6c5cc0-3df0-4cc0-bc09-ef5fd96b31a9_

Hi all:
=20
These questions will apply likely to those who have chemistry as a backgrou=
nd.  If others have knowledge on the topic I'll definitely take the informa=
tion. =20
=20
The first question posed by a woman to me is basically a concern that she h=
as about the long term effects of sugar water on hummingbirds.  She is basi=
ng her assumptions that it will be harmful in the long run on the basis of =
human physiology and how it would effect humans in the long run.  I advised=
 her that we cannot compare human physiology to that of birds in this case=
=2C but I do not know enough about the chemistry of this to explain further=
.  Has there been any studies done on hummingbirds in regards to the long t=
erm effects of sugar water in comparison to natural sugar obtained from pla=
nts?  Eg. the long term effects of unatural sugar water given to hummingbir=
ds.  From what I've read or heard there is no harm=2C but any documents tha=
t would back this up for me to forward to the individual would be appreciat=
ed. =20
=20
The other thing that she is concerned about is the effects of fertilizer li=
me pellets spread on a lawn.  This woman has seen blue jays picking up the =
lime pellets thinking that it is food.  This time of the year it could just=
 be bluejays collecting food to store and by the time they actually go back=
 for it this would be long gone.  Just in case that the blue jays are actua=
lly consuming the pellets what would be the effect?  Has there been any stu=
dy done about this?  Thanks in advance for any responses on this.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_8f6c5cc0-3df0-4cc0-bc09-ef5fd96b31a9_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<FONT size=3D3>Hi all:</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>These questions will apply likely to those who have chemistr=
y as a background.&nbsp=3B If others have knowledge on the topic I'll defin=
itely take the information.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>The first question posed by a woman to me is basically a con=
cern that she has about the long term effects of sugar water on hummingbird=
s.&nbsp=3B She is basing her assumptions that it will be harmful in the lon=
g run on the basis of human physiology and how it would effect humans in th=
e long run.&nbsp=3B I advised her that we cannot compare human physiology t=
o that of birds in this case=2C but I do not know enough about the chemistr=
y of this to explain further.&nbsp=3B Has there been any studies done on hu=
mmingbirds in regards to the long term effects of sugar water in comparison=
 to natural sugar obtained from plants?&nbsp=3B Eg. the long term effects o=
f unatural sugar water given to hummingbirds.&nbsp=3B From what I've read o=
r heard there is no harm=2C but any documents that would back this up for m=
e to forward to the individual would be appreciated.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>The other thing that she is concerned about is the effects o=
f fertilizer lime pellets spread on a lawn.&nbsp=3B This woman has seen blu=
e jays picking up the lime pellets thinking that it is food.&nbsp=3B This t=
ime of the year it could just be bluejays collecting food to store and by t=
he time they actually go back for it this would be long gone.&nbsp=3B Just =
in case that the blue jays are actually consuming the pellets what would be=
 the effect?&nbsp=3B Has there been any study done about this?&nbsp=3B Than=
ks in advance for any responses on this.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Bridgewater</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_8f6c5cc0-3df0-4cc0-bc09-ef5fd96b31a9_--