[NatureNS] Touring, NORTHERN GOSHAWK - backyard first

From: Barbara Pat Giffin <barpat@eastlink.ca>
To: NATURENS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 13:36:24 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01CD8DC6.F06CB6F0

1300,8Sep12
Our backyard is surrounded by mature coniferous and deciduous trees;=20
A juvenile, first year, Northern Goshawk, based on Sibley's field guide, =
descended from the trees, landing on the lawn about 40ft from our =
windows, it seemed to be interested in the Purple Finches, A. =
Goldfinches, Woodpeckers, etc that were either at the feeders or in the =
trees. It remained there for at least 10 minutes, did not make a capture =
attempt, did not fly toward the feeders and left through the trees =
heading Southeast. It appeared to be in very good condition. No photo.
Sharp-shinned Hawks regularly try and occasionally capture birds from =
the feeders, they do not perch on the ground thinking(?)about it. =
Barbara and Pat
------=_NextPart_000_0007_01CD8DC6.F06CB6F0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D2 face=3D"Courier =
New">1300,8Sep12</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New">Our backyard is =
surrounded by=20
mature coniferous and deciduous trees; </FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New">A juvenile, first year, =
Northern=20
Goshawk, based on Sibley's field guide, descended from the trees, =
landing on the=20
lawn about 40ft from our windows, it seemed to be interested in the =
Purple=20
Finches, A. Goldfinches, Woodpeckers, etc that were either at the =
feeders or in=20
the trees. It remained there for at least 10 minutes, did not make a =
capture=20
attempt, did not fly&nbsp;toward the feeders&nbsp;and left through the =
trees=20
heading Southeast. It&nbsp;appeared to be&nbsp;in very good condition. =
No=20
photo.</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D2 face=3D"Courier New">Sharp-shinned Hawks =
regularly try=20
and occasionally capture birds from the feeders, they do not perch on =
the ground=20
thinking(?)about it. </FONT></STRONG><STRONG><FONT size=3D2=20
face=3D"Courier New">Barbara and Pat</FONT></STRONG></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01CD8DC6.F06CB6F0--