[NatureNS] question re Hemlock Ravine & "Crackers", flightless duck? there??

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:52:14 -0300

Yesterday on CBC Radio's "Q", Jian Ghomeshi started his show with a
short report about a weird bird? in Hemlock Ravine in Halifax (heart-
shaped pond?) -- he called the bird "Crackers" (why? -- people
feeding it?) and reported that attempts to capture the bird (to help
it overwinter?) were unsuccessful.  Forgive me if someone has already
reported this, but can anyone illuminate these partial notes at all?
Thanks from devoted CBC listener, Jim in Wolfville -- I tried the
podcast for yesterday, but it left out his introduction to the day's
show, which is the most interesting part of his show for me.