[NatureNS] question re Hemlock Ravine & "Crackers", flightless

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:36:26 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--20cf307f3be09d205b04c9821d1c

Hi Jim ,this story has been in and out of the media for a few months
now.Someone in Halifax had a domestic duck that they dumped in Hemlock
Ravine. I was contacted about it and myself and Hope S did an interview on
the radio about it, both offering to help find a home for it. I havent
heard anything from those monitoring it until it showed up in the media
again this week. Healthy ducks, even those that cant fly, can be hard to
catch without trained people....and even then still difficult :)
Helene
On Sep 12, 2012 11:02 AM, "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Yesterday on CBC Radio's "Q", Jian Ghomeshi started his show with a short
> report about a weird bird? in Hemlock Ravine in Halifax (heart-shaped
> pond?) -- he called the bird "Crackers" (why? -- people feeding it?) and
> reported that attempts to capture the bird (to help it overwinter?) were
> unsuccessful.  Forgive me if someone has already reported this, but can
> anyone illuminate these partial notes at all?  Thanks from devoted CBC
> listener, Jim in Wolfville -- I tried the podcast for yesterday, but it
> left out his introduction to the day's show, which is the most interesting
> part of his show for me.

--20cf307f3be09d205b04c9821d1c

.Someone in Halifax had a domestic duck that they dumped in Hemlock Ravine.=
 I was contacted about it and myself and Hope S did an interview on the rad=
io about it, both offering to help find a home for it. I havent heard anyth=
ing from those monitoring it until it showed up in the media again this wee=
k. Healthy ducks, even those that cant fly, can be hard to catch without tr=
ained people....and even then still difficult :)<br>

Helene</p>
&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca">jimwolford@eastlink.ca=
</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" s=
tyle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Yesterday on CBC Radio&#39;s &quot;Q&quot;, Jian Ghomeshi started his show =
with a short report about a weird bird? in Hemlock Ravine in Halifax (heart=
-shaped pond?) -- he called the bird &quot;Crackers&quot; (why? -- people f=
eeding it?) and reported that attempts to capture the bird (to help it over=
winter?) were unsuccessful. =A0Forgive me if someone has already reported t=
his, but can anyone illuminate these partial notes at all? =A0Thanks from d=
evoted CBC listener, Jim in Wolfville -- I tried the podcast for yesterday,=
 but it left out his introduction to the day&#39;s show, which is the most =
interesting part of his show for me.<br>

--20cf307f3be09d205b04c9821d1c--