[NatureNS] Ladybug, Horntail

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:31:58 -0300

Dear All,                        Sept 13, 2012
    While cutting in a tangle of Dec 2010 windfalls at North Alton today a
Ladybug (Coccinella trifasciata var. ) landed on my neck  I don't recall
having seen this species often in recent years.

  Later, while cutting a different part of this tangle (Live Yellow Birch,
somewhat live Populus tremuloides & dead Fir), a dark iridescent violet
Horntail with dull yellow legs came from somewhere; probably either the dead
Fir or the large rotten Populus stub that was pressed against the Fir.

    It seemed to have one wing damaged but, while carrying it on my arm to
get a vial and have a better look, it suddenly took off. I may have seen
that one previously; not sure but in any case an impressive insect.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville