[NatureNS] Eastern Kingbird and unknown sp

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 21:32:13 +0000

--_c83f70ea-7748-4545-9754-465f444c5971_

Hi all:
=20
Today I had an eastern kingbird at Broad Cove.
=20
I also saw a bird at Cherry Hill Beach and this is something that you won't=
 hear often.  I don't know what it was.  I was out on the far end by the mu=
dflats where the majority of the shorebirds tend.  Out of the dune vegetati=
on went a number of American Pipits and another bird flushed also and lande=
d in the dune grass near the mud edge a short ways off.  This bird at first=
 I thought might be a Longspur sp. =2C but it was too large.  It was not a =
bobolink nor a red-winged blackbird as I know both species well.  It was ro=
bin size and brown with streaks and a grey cheek patch.  The sun was not go=
od for catching anymore details.  I suppose that it could have been a juven=
ile western meadowlark=2C but I saw no yellow on the breast=2C nor a neck b=
and.  It was too far away to grab a photo and I observed it through the sco=
pe.  I tried to digiscope=2C but forgot to lock the scope and thus failed. =
 Anyhow=2C an unknow sp=2C possibly a largish longspur or bunting or I real=
ly do not know.  An interesting bird none the least and I really would have=
 like to have gotten an id or closer to it. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_c83f70ea-7748-4545-9754-465f444c5971_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Today I had an eastern kingbird at Broad Cove.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I also saw a bird at Cherry Hill Beach and this is something that you won't=
 hear often.&nbsp=3B I don't know what it was.&nbsp=3B I was out on the far=
 end by the mudflats where the majority of the shorebirds tend.&nbsp=3B Out=
 of the dune vegetation went a number of American Pipits and another bird f=
lushed also and landed in the dune grass near the mud edge a short ways off=
.&nbsp=3B This bird at first I thought might be a Longspur sp.&nbsp=3B=2C b=
ut it was too large.&nbsp=3B It was not a bobolink nor a red-winged blackbi=
rd as I know both species well.&nbsp=3B It was robin size and brown with st=
reaks and a grey cheek patch.&nbsp=3B The sun was not good for catching any=
more details.&nbsp=3B I suppose that it could have been a juvenile western =
meadowlark=2C but I saw no yellow on the breast=2C nor a neck band.&nbsp=3B=
 It was too far away to grab a photo and I observed it through the scope.&n=
bsp=3B I tried to digiscope=2C but forgot to lock the scope and thus failed=
.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C an unknow sp=2C possibly a largish longspur or bunting =
or I really do not know.&nbsp=3B An interesting bird none the least and I r=
eally would have like to have gotten an id or closer to it.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_c83f70ea-7748-4545-9754-465f444c5971_--